Author Topic: Suggestions  (Read 6427 times)

Re: Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2012, 11:02:34 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Hmmmm.... That would require a lot of work on the part of the staff here... So i doubt it will ever happen ;D
Signature.

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 03:06:13 AM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Hmmmm.... That would require a lot of work on the part of the staff here... So i doubt it will ever happen ;D

Very funny. =P

The problem with countdowns is where to put them.

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:45 AM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
Homepage, under the newly added links (twitter, forums, etc.) or on the side bar of the homepage maybe?

And if you think it might work better, maybe you could just do one countdown with the title coming out first and then reset it to the next title when the original countdown ends.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Actually, he has a point; Right now, I think the top bar with all the links is already way crowded...

Although i suppose the top top right might be ok... But then you might suffer from just too much stuff going on in a small space
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 05:22:58 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 09:05:44 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
We can agree to disagree; I don't think there is too much on there now, and I don't think adding a countdown clock would clutter it up. It's not like it would be interactive like a link, it would just be there. It might seem like a lot to someone new to the site.

To be honest, I have the forum homepage open all the time on my home computer, and I only go to the actual FuD homepage when I see a new article is up via a new thread about it in the forums, but I will probably hear about them first now through Twitter, so that's why I really love having a FuD Twitter. So for me, it would be more of an incentive to visit the homepage more often, although I don't expect the staff to do something just for me, but I do think it would be a good addition to the site in general.

Anyway, it was just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:14:49 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2012, 08:16:25 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Good point; idk, dave is a professional designer or something, so i would defer to his judgement

Well; a new article just went up :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 08:21:56 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2012, 08:26:32 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Nice to know that we're heading towards the Halo.bungie.org world of "there's a front page"?

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2012, 09:26:21 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
Just being honest. I love every aspect of this site, it's just that the forums are my favorite part because I look forward to reading new thoughts and speculations to both items I have brought up and those brought up by the rest of the community. When I am aware of a new article, it's not like I push it off for a while; I read it straight away! It's just that the homepage contains a lot of stuff that I have already seen or read before, and frankly as a "Veteran" member, I don't have a whole lot of use for it, and I in no way mean that with any disrespect. I think the homepage does a great job of enticing someone new to the site to poke around and enjoy all of the fantastic content, and then hopefully, join us in the forums  :D

At the end of the day, what is the point of this site? (i.e. my favorite business question, what are you in the business of doing?) This is a website dedicated to "take a deeper look beneath the surface of Halo" and I love that the "mission statement" is essentially the first thing you see on the website. So, the staff creates well-written and thought-provoking articles that we, as the "consumers'" can't get enough of - hence the constant heckling from us for new content (I still haven't forgotten about the Reach datapads part 3 that we were promised almost a year ago  :o).

I personally understand how hard it can be just to formulate and actually write out ideas for original Halo content that hasn't been covered and beaten to death with speculation on other sites, as I have my own folder of ideas and articles that just never made it for one reason or the other. So with the understandable slow turn-around of new content, the members turn to the forums to discuss things and create our own content that the staff can comment on as well (and hopefully gather ideas for new content of their own as well).

That is my view of why the forums are such an essential part of this community; it is the other half of the "mission statement" where members can take that deeper look beneath the surface by raising questions that they had about the universe but didn't know where to ask before coming here and where they aren't afraid of being ridiculed by "Halo lore professionals" for not knowing the answer. Is it really so bad to think that the homepage is there just to draw people in and eventually make it to the forums which is like the end-point you wish to get new members, and then return to the homepage for new staff content? I know a lot of hard work went into the homepage, and I would hate for any of the staff to think that we as members don't appreciate it, but again, this is just my honest opinion, review, fan feedback, or whatever you would like to call it.

Sorry for the business view of it (and length), but I have to put this college education to work, or else I wasted all of that money that wasn't mine in the first place.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2012, 12:53:13 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Well, I was just being flippant :)

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2012, 09:36:02 AM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
Speaking of the mission statement I have a dark secret that I have withheld for so long. Today, that secret will be revealed...

There's a typo in the first line and it's driving me crazy. It says "Every second of every day 'somenody' somewhere is playing Halo."

I don't know who somenody is but he needs to get a hold of his addiction.

Oh and I don't know if I've said it before but the homepage looks beautiful by the way. Amazing job on that.
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Speaking of the mission statement I have a dark secret that I have withheld for so long. Today, that secret will be revealed...

There's a typo in the first line and it's driving me crazy. It says "Every second of every day 'somenody' somewhere is playing Halo."

I don't know who somenody is but he needs to get a hold of his addiction.

Oh and I don't know if I've said it before but the homepage looks beautiful by the way. Amazing job on that.

Leave somenody alone!

I don't see any error. Are you sure? ;D
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:40:37 PM by Postmortem »

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2012, 06:10:49 PM »

That Gunslinger

• Veteran
  • Forerunner Tank: Awesomeness would ensue.
I don't see any error. Are you sure? ;D

*Crazy marine voice*

It said somenody, it said somenody damn it! It's the FUD cycle... I tried to stop it... The typos, they're everywhere! They homepage, the forum... they're aaaallll infected! I tried to correct them... Maybe... maybe I should correct myself...

Thanks. :)
"Life is trial Riser."
"For little Elephants as well."

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 03:42:44 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Well met Six! Cheerio! I Agree most heartily!

Although, TBH, I use the actual fud homepage as one of my homepages... And then I go and press the forum button... Cause it is soooooo easy, and I'm not Exeedingly lazy that i cant just make that jump ;D
Signature.