Author Topic: ????/?????? post deciphering  (Read 3462 times)

????/?????? post deciphering
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:27:09 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
  • This is the way the world ends
You may have noticed the ????/?????? post by an author with the same name on the Forum homepage. If you ever opened the thread, you would have noticed that there were lines of Forerunner symbols. What does this thread mean?

SPOILER ALERT:

A deciphering key can be found on the Halopedia website if you would like to decipher the symbols yourself. I will be posting the translation below, so if you would like to  decipher it for yourself, stop here.

So, here we go:

Reclaimer

I have lived a long life
You request much of me
but I will endeavor to
share this tale with you

those who created you
were defied and hunted.
Most were extinguished
a few fled beyond your reach.
Creation continued

I remember his eyes
he watched everything
and everyone
they reflected nothing
but a green tinted misery

Most curious
Why would they care
about Didact
I guess human curiosity
never changes

I am not innocent
merely guilty of being present
back then
but now I dont know
but she will
I feel that spark
once more stirring inside

After reading all of this, we can infer that this is Guilty Spark speaking to a Reclaimer, or human. Possibly the ONI science team from Primordium?

The first two "paragraphs" are pretty self explanatory, at least if you have read Primordium, as these statements were given in the book.

The third paragraph, referring to the green tinted misery, makes me believe GS is referring to Mendicant Bias, as he is described as having a green eye when traveling with the Primordial.

The next paragraph that mentions human curiosity lead me to believe that GS is talking to the science team from Primordium, since GS is asking why "they" care about the Didact, which is what the science team was probing for. 

The last paragraph is very, very interesting. First off, GS states that he is not innocent, merely guilty of being present. Is he referring to the events at the end of Promrdium when, as Chakas, he was trying to help The Lord of Admirals move the Halo away from the Wolf faced planet (that part of the story was confusing to me, and hard to follow)? Or is this a prelude to the events that will happen in the final novel?

GS then continues to say "but now I don't know but she will". I think it is safe to assume he is referring to the Librarian, since he speaks of knowing were to find her at the end of Priomordium and also in one of the final terminals in Halo CE anniversary. 

And then we have the last few lines: "I feel that spark, once more stirring inside" After reading this, and the line of being merely guilty of present, I think we now have a better understanding of why Guilty Spark has his name. What this event was that he was present for we may not know, but his name seems to make a little more sense now.

There seems to be a big build up around the Librarian and I think she will be explored in more detail in the final novel.

I am writing this quite soon after I had deciphered the symbols, so my theories about the purpose of this "message" will probably be more in depth in the near future. As of right now I am not sure what it's purpose is. To explain how Guilty Spark got his name?

Also, at the bottom of the original thread, there is a picture of what appears to be the Primordial. I won't comment on this just yet, but I plan to come back to it very soon. As for now, what are your thoughts on this "message"?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:50:09 PM by Slightly Live »
Praise Bird Jesus!

Re: ????/?????? post deciphering
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I should point out that the message isn't official. Slightly wrote it, as far as I know, just to touch off thoughts on Primordium.

That said I think he's onto some interesting threads.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 07:11:58 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
I should point out that the message isn't official. Slightly wrote it, as far as I know, just to touch off thoughts on Primordium.

That said I think he's onto some interesting threads.

I noticed Tar asked about the origin of that message, I guess I should have waited before trying to analyze this.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
The reaction to the "error" content has put a massive smile on my face. It's definitely not something that you'd usually find on the site but the reception has been great.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:31:44 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
Pfffff. Man, i was getting all excited... Dang...

This would actually be a great idea, for a marketing campagn, for 343 to release a cryptic "poem" like this in forerunner script with some hints and hidden secrets about the halo 4 story. Cause it would get the community involved, it would be cheap and easy, it wouldnt give away too much, and it would get people talking and thinking about the game. (if anybody knows someone at 343...)
Signature.

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Pfffff. Man, i was getting all excited... Dang...

This would actually be a great idea, for a marketing campagn, for 343 to release a cryptic "poem" like this in forerunner script with some hints and hidden secrets about the halo 4 story. Cause it would get the community involved, it would be cheap and easy, it wouldnt give away too much, and it would get people talking and thinking about the game. (if anybody knows someone at 343...)

343 have Microsoft's massive and industry standard setting marketing machine at hand. I'd feel silly even pretending to give them any advice. They are cooking up something real special for Halo 4 and I can't wait to see what it is.

I did pass along word of the "error" promo here and BS Angel said liked what we did. =)

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 08:39:27 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero
 :(

So where did the picture come from?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 08:40:10 PM by Sixftunder »
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:51 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
A chap on HaloGAF, I believe (Flipyap?)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn

Here.

Flipyap also did the new coat of paint on the main site. <3 Flipyap =)

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

Here.

Flipyap also did the new coat of paint on the main site. <3 Flipyap =)

Is this flipyap a fan or somehow affiliated with 343i?
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
Flipyap is a fan and an awesome dude.

Are you disappointed that the "error" sequences weren't official?
Did you think you were mislead?
Now that you know where they come from who done it, what are your thoughts on the "project"?

And finally, is this kind of content something you want to see more of in future?

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »

Sixftunder

• Hero

Now that you know where they come from who done it, what are your thoughts on the "project"?

And finally, is this kind of content something you want to see more of in future?

I would be disappointed if it was said to be official, then turned out it wasn't, but ultimately I'm not. I don't think I can say I was mislead either because no one else brought it up or commented on it, and there wasn't any additional information on it (again, if it was said to be official in the post, then yes I would feel mislead).

I thought the project was interesting, and it got my attention in a huge way, because any new Halo information that is made available, I soak up like a sponge. It is definitely something I would like to see in the future BUT I would like to know ahead of time whether it is official or not. Even if it is not, but something community made, I would still look into it, but I would just like to know whether I should consider something as cannon or not.
Praise Bird Jesus!

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 01:10:02 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
There was no indication from us that the promo was official. In fact, we didn't even promote it outside of NeoGAF and even then it was clear it was 100% FUD related. Curious to know where other folks might have picked it up.

All content on this site belongs to FUD and the staff, unless otherwise stated and both statements of ownership come secondary to Microsoft's clear and undisputed ownership of Halo and all related brand copyrights. What this means is that we won't ever claim something belongs to us when it doesn't.

The response to the "error" sequence promo has been quite positive and while it's far too early to say with any certainty, I hope in future we can do something similar again. We're very happy with how it turned out.

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
343 have Microsoft's massive and industry standard setting marketing machine at hand. I'd feel silly even pretending to give them any advice. They are cooking up something real special for Halo 4 and I can't wait to see what it is.

I did pass along word of the "error" promo here and BS Angel said liked what we did. =)
Well, yeah, microsoft in the end does the real marketting, but bs angel and 343 would be the kind of people who would do this kind of marketing... You never know. And Yeah i cant wait to see what they roll out for halo 4.

Hmm, i was a little disapointed, because i thought it would be such a great idea for 343 to have done.
My thoughts on the project --now that I know its not official-- are that it was pretty cool, but the fact that there wasnt really a secret hidden meaning kinda took some of the mystique off, you know what i mean?

Signature.