Author Topic: Helljumper  (Read 7642 times)

Re: Helljumper
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 11:51:45 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
Yep, looks like. We'll see what's what :P

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 01:43:57 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
IT JUST RELEASED, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?feature=mhee&v=O51Uu_F-T8Q

Opening was sick, rest was ok, still really excited for more, overall id give it a thumbs up  :D

DangerousDave, i believe you will probably want to use this thread to whinge now  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 04:55:00 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:02 AM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Well, it didn't really change my mind. The acting was an obvious issue, and to a degree so was the pacing--they needed more time to let things breath and establish timeskips.

You already know what I think about the visual style :P

Despite its faults, they certainly put a lot of effort into it.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 05:03:52 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Well, it didn't really change my mind. The acting was an obvious issue, and to a degree so was the pacing--they needed more time to let things breath and establish timeskips.

You already know what I think about the visual style :P

Despite its faults, they certainly put a lot of effort into it.
Yeah... Obvious points. Tell us something we dont know

Youre expecting too much, youre like doing the fan-film equivalent of trolling forums for grammer mistakes. Just enjoy the freaking show, laugh at the mistakes, and have a good time.

And I still think the low color communicates the reality of the war better than if it was all bright and colorful

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 05:04:28 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 11:57:37 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Then we shall forever be in disagreement, locked in pitched and epic battle!

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
 :o Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!! :D :D

Best post in any forum ever!!!
Signature.

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

Slightly Live

• Forward Staff
  • Rookie
  • Logical Plague
    • Forward Unto Dawn
As a fan product, it was fantastic. Really enjoyed the first episode.

Critically, it was laughable. Horrible actors, bad dialogue and ropey everything else. Still a million times better than that scam Halo Faith was ever going to be.

But yeah, just enjoy it was a work of fan love and for a fan product, it's bloody great.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 02:51:23 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
As a fan product, it was fantastic. Really enjoyed the first episode.

Critically, it was laughable. Horrible actors, bad dialogue and ropey everything else. Still a million times better than that scam Halo Faith was ever going to be.

But yeah, just enjoy it was a work of fan love and for a fan product, it's bloody great.

This.

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 02:58:18 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Maybe I should change my avatar :)

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:51:41 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Second ep out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMez_uh5d18

Well... First third sucked... Second third = ok... Last third: not bad :)
 Overall, pretty good I thought. Nice to see more convenient species...

Stop fricking taking off your helmets!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:01:23 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »

Postmortem

• Forward Unto Dawn Writer
  • Veteran
  • No. There is more. But you are not worthy. Not yet
Those Jackals were freakin sweet.

But I'm sorry, this kind of had me upset for the rest of the episode:

Anyone who's ever held a real rifle knows that there is just something so wrong with this image.

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 04:30:58 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Going to watch when I've got the time...

EDIT: The Jackals were nice and the sleeping Grunts were good too, but they've got these really stiff and fake looking frontal shots of the Grunts more often--I dunno if that's just bad CG or they tried to use practical mixed with CG and it just didn't work. Maybe it's just a matter of rigging--that stuff's a royal pain to get right, especially for more complicated movement.

I think they made a huge mistake of not using two helmets, one with a clear visor to show their faces. It is annoying that they constantly take off their helmets (also, that you can see their bare necks.)

Urgh, why do you need to put a RED logo at the end of your credits? It's a piss-poor camera overall, stop advertising the tech and just make a good picture.

Done with my complaining for this ep. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 05:36:41 PM by DangerousDave »

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Going to watch when I've got the time...

EDIT: The Jackals were nice and the sleeping Grunts were good too, but they've got these really stiff and fake looking frontal shots of the Grunts more often--I dunno if that's just bad CG or they tried to use practical mixed with CG and it just didn't work. Maybe it's just a matter of rigging--that stuff's a royal pain to get right, especially for more complicated movement.

I think they made a huge mistake of not using two helmets, one with a clear visor to show their faces. It is annoying that they constantly take off their helmets (also, that you can see their bare necks.)

Urgh, why do you need to put a RED logo at the end of your credits? It's a piss-poor camera overall, stop advertising the tech and just make a good picture.

Done with my complaining for this ep. :)

Hahaha! Yeah, the neck thing was weird, like, even if they just put on a black turtle neck or something so you didn't see skin...
   Stiff grunts.. I dont think you can avoid them without a bigger budget. Although, Landfall's brutes looked awesome, and not stiff at all...
   I'll accept bad acting and low budget CG... But some of the other stuff, like holding the rifle like a retard, taking off the helmets every single shot...

What do you have against RED cameras?... They aren't that bad of cameras... I mean... I didn't fact check, but I'm pretty sure they are used in real movies often... Right?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 09:14:54 PM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
The Landfall Brutes were WETA. if they couldn't pull off awesome effects, no one would use them. :P

The RED has serious flaws, both in its performance and its workflow. I get annoyed because clueless ad agencies and indie filmmakers have been suckered into thinking RED is something magical and different. It's a camera, not a religion. At least it's better than shooting with DSLRs, but if you threw the amount of cash you spent on either buying or renting a RED rig into effects you could certainly afford less stiff grunts :) (Last time we rented a package it cost $1,500 for a day. The body itself with no lenses, attachments, etc. will set you back at least $30,000.) You can get an arguably better camera for hundreds cheaper and with better workflows (you don't need proprietary storage or to encode everything with RED's own crappy tools.)

TLDR-- The RED is a decent camera, but there are far better ones to use in general, and far better ones to use for an independent/low-budget fan film.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
Oh, I thought landfall was an indie thing, haha
Signature.