Author Topic: The Thread For Talking About BTF #7 : The Deeper End of the Military Sci-Fi Pool  (Read 2051 times)

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
  • There has been much talk. And i have listened...
^^The purpose of this thread can be found hidden in the title ^^

I just got around to reading Btf 7 (for some reason it wasnt working for me, but i fixed it) i figured i'd start a thread for people to converse about it.

First off, great article, Loved it. I think that the idea of giving us a halo game where we get to experience a more human style of gameplay would be absolutely novel. And the article was written very well, so i dont really have much to add. However i did have a thought:
    It almost feels like the idea would fit with a gameplay similar to what we saw in the Star Wars: Battlefront games. Where there is a ton of players (human and npc) on both sides just duke it out over a massive level in a huge mash up of slayer and conquest/objective gametypes, and your character is no better than the net npc over. I could go into tons of detail as to how awesome the game could be, but i wont.
     However, i think the drawback to this style of game would be that i think you might end up sacrificing a deep and complex storyline for the epic battles and stuff that you would get with this style of game.
         In the end though, i think that 343 and microsoft should definately do more experiments, like halo wars was. I would love to see them trying to make quality halo games with different gameplay structures or styles.

Soo, whatever you guys think, either about what the article said, or what i did; feel free to post it here
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:16:47 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
  • You are alive when they eat you.
    • Personal Site
I agree that a Halo: Battlefront game would be awesome, but story wouldn't be the real point of that. I'm all for going for big battles in environments that we've never gotten to see, and are unlikely to in game form in any other way--Sigma Octanus springs to mind.  The best part of Battlefront was how seamlessly it jumped from time periods, and even if you were just a cursory Star Wars fan you knew the importance of each battle.

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
I agree that a Halo: Battlefront game would be awesome, but story wouldn't be the real point of that. I'm all for going for big battles in environments that we've never gotten to see, and are unlikely to in game form in any other way--Sigma Octanus springs to mind.  The best part of Battlefront was how seamlessly it jumped from time periods, and even if you were just a cursory Star Wars fan you knew the importance of each battle.

Yeah, I totally agree, another place that sprung to mind would be Vadam on sanghellios, that would be totally awesome.

Do you guys think that we will see another 'side' title between halo 4 and 5? Like CEA, ODST, or Wars [or hopefully like battlefront]. Or do you guys think that 343 will wait till they are more established--like between 5 and 6--to start farming out side projects and stuff? Or do you guys think we wont get anymore at all
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 03:52:53 AM by Tar Alacrin »
Signature.

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
It's hard to say. It sounds like 343 (or rather, more like the Microsoft overlords proper) want to pump out the Halo games at a bit faster clip. I personally think that going from three-year development cycles to two-year development cycles would be disastrous, from the standpoint of quality and fostering multiplayer. Unlike TV or movies, where it's pretty hard to "oversaturate" a market with a product in that sense, it's incredibly easy with video games, because people don't like getting kicked out of their chosen experiences, and more development time is almost always a function of a better game (Duke Nukem aside).

Someone on HBO mentioned the idea of making Waypoint the actual multiplayer hub so you could jump from game to game, and that's the only way I think churning out sequels so quickly would work without making old purchases obsolete. I doubt MS will do that, though.

The other advantage of longer sequel times means you could put out $40-50 side-stories, new campaign + DLC packs or even full-fledged games and give them a space to exist comfortably. I don't want a new Halo every year.

Tar Alacrin

• Hero
It's hard to say. It sounds like 343 (or rather, more like the Microsoft overlords proper) want to pump out the Halo games at a bit faster clip. I personally think that going from three-year development cycles to two-year development cycles would be disastrous, from the standpoint of quality and fostering multiplayer. Unlike TV or movies, where it's pretty hard to "oversaturate" a market with a product in that sense, it's incredibly easy with video games, because people don't like getting kicked out of their chosen experiences, and more development time is almost always a function of a better game (Duke Nukem aside).

Someone on HBO mentioned the idea of making Waypoint the actual multiplayer hub so you could jump from game to game, and that's the only way I think churning out sequels so quickly would work without making old purchases obsolete. I doubt MS will do that, though.

The other advantage of longer sequel times means you could put out $40-50 side-stories, new campaign + DLC packs or even full-fledged games and give them a space to exist comfortably. I don't want a new Halo every year.

Wait, do you think microsoft wants to bring halo down to once a year? I think they might want to bring it down to every 2 years, but i doubt they will do a full game every year. But yeah, i totally agree; i dont think that they should try to accelerate the production -- i think they should keep halo development with quality over quantity (side projects wouldnt count). But  even 2 years is pushing it
Signature.

DangerousDave

• Forward Staff
  • Legend
    • Personal Site
Do I think they'll knock it down to 1 a year (I'm talking staggered products, so we'd get Halo 4, Halo 4: ODST, Halo 5 etc. back to back)--probably not. But that doesn't stop me worrying about it :P t
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:41:54 PM by Tar Alacrin »